What is reflexology?
Reflexology is a non-invasive, complementary healing technique. The physical act of applying pressure to reflex areas in the foot and hand using thumb, finger and hand techniques can result in a physiological change in the body. This can lead to a reduction in stress and other benefits to the body and one’s health.
Reported health benefits of reflexology
Reflexology helps to restore homeostasis (balance) in the whole body and stimulate the body’s ability to heal itself.
It has been shown to be effective for:
- stress management
- sleep disorders
- digestive disorders
- congestive symptoms
- muscle pain
- joint problems
- post-operative pain
- menstrual pain
- side effects from cancer treatments
- plantar fasciitis
- hormonal imbalances
- life changes
- and more.
How does it work?
Reflexology is based on the premise that there are zones and reflex areas in the foot and hand which correspond to all glands, organs and parts of the body. When certain pressure techniques are applied, they can have a positive impact on the related areas of the body and help improve health conditions.
Stimulating these reflexes can result in one or more of the following:
- enhanced muscle relaxation
- improved circulation of blood and energy
- opening up of lymphatic pathways
- released endorphins for the reduction of pain, from migraine to joint pain
- improved nerve condition by opening up and clearing neural pathways
- more oxygen and nutrients to the reflexed areas
- deep relaxation which helps to heal many stress-related conditions
What to expect
The session begins with a warm towel and a series of relaxation techniques. Then I work both feet and hands in a systematic manner using a finger walking technique. The pressure is adjusted to your preference. The only clothing removed are the shoes and socks.